The Palazzo dei Priori is a historic building located in the center of Perugia, and is considered one of the most important examples of Gothic architecture in Umbria. Built between 1293 and 1443, the palace housed the Magistratura dei Priori (the Magistracy of the Priors), a form of municipal government that represented the main guilds of the Arts in Perugia. This institution was made up of 10 priors, elected every two months. During their tenure they resided in the palace and took care of the administration of the city.
The oldest part of the building is located on the corner between Piazza IV Novembre and Corso Vannucci, and it currently houses the Sala dei Notari (Hall of Notaries). A significant architectural element of the Palazzo dei Priori is its main portal. Today the Palazzo is the seat of the Perugia Town Hall and it also houses the National Gallery of Umbria, which exhibits important works of art, including paintings, sculptures, and frescoes by local and international artists.