PERUGIA. VIA DEI PRIORI.
CHURCH OF 'SANTI SEVERO E AGATA'
Church of ‘San Severo e Sant’Agata’ (Saints Severus and Agatha). It has very remote origins; already in 1163, it is named in a diploma of the emperor Frederick I. The current building dates back to around 1317, when the ancient chapel was enlarged, following the demolition of the Church of San Severo in Piazza Grande, for the expansion of the Palazzo dei Priori. The new building is thus dedicated to the saints Severo and Agata, although it continues, to this day, to be named with the title of Sant’Agata. The style of the church belongs to the Franciscan Gothic. The structure is ogival, with two spans of cross vaults, on six half columns immured in the walls. The portal is carved with taste and simplicity, with a sharp arch, adorned with travertine cornices and beads, in the Gothic style of the fourteenth century. In the church there are important frescoes of the Umbrian-Sienese school, inspired by Simone Martini, especially those of the first arch on the left, with stories of San Severo and other figures of saints; in the central wall the scene of the Calvary, work performed between 1319 and 1333 by a painter inspired by Pietro Lorenzetti, perhaps the so-called master of the reredos of Paciano. Near the door, on the right entering, is depicted the Trinity with three faces, an iconography not very widespread, as forbidden by the Council of Constance in 1414, lending itself to ambiguous theological interpretations. In recent restoration works two frescoes of saints have come to light on the vaults, perhaps fathers of the church; while in the wall near the entrance door, above the figure of Triforme Trinity, a fresco dedicated to the stigmata of St Francisemerged. Built in the fourteenth century, the chapel dedicated to Sant’Agata, the oldest of the eleventh century, was enlarged. Inside, interesting frescoes of the fourteenth-centuryamong others a Crucifixion of the Lorenzetti school and the rare iconographic representation of Trinity Triceps.
Winter time from 9:00 a.m to 12:00 a.m.
Summer time from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. | from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
+39 075 5723832