PERUGIA. VIA DEI PRIORI.
PARK OF CANAPINA
In the passage that goes from the Parco della Cupa towards the valley, two symmetrical staircases create a ‘monumental’ vertical axis consisting of the arches of the Gallery, the Etruscan Postierla (found during the excavations for the creation of the garden) and the Church of San Benedetto, visible beyond the walls.The Postierla della Cupa seems to have had a pedestrian crossing function, as it allowed direct communication between the countryside and the city center. Equidistant from the Trasimena and Eburnea Gates, it opens onto a curvilinear stretch of the Etruscan walls. Discovered in the nineteenth century by Vincenzo Cherubini, only in 1946 it was brought back to light.