The main city theater was built by Alessio Lorenzi in between 1778 and 1781, at the request of the Perugian bourgeoisie. This classic Italian theater with a capacity of 1,200 seats was inaugurated in 1781 with the name of Teatro del Verzaro. The architect G. Calderini intervened in the construction phases, as well as some of the best local artists including the sculptors R. Angeletti and F. Biscarini and the painters F. Moretti and M. Tassi, each of whom was entrusted with the construction of a part of the theater. The curtain and the ceiling are decorated with a romantic scene inspired by local history that celebrates the city’s bourgeoisie. In 1847 the theater was renovated and named after the well-known Perugian musician Francesco Morlacchi. After years of success and the presence of great artists such as Talli, Calabrese, and Gramatica, the theater was damaged and rendered unusable during the Second World War. After the war, the Academy transferred ownership to the municipal administration of Perugia, which took charge of the expenses necessary for the recovery of the building. In 2021 and 2022, thanks to an important contribution from the Cucinelli Foundation, the Municipality of Perugia carried out an important restoration work. Today the Morlacchi Theater welcomes about 780 spectators. The schedule is curated by the Teatro Stabile dell’Umbria. In addition to a rich show season, the Morlacchi theater is a stage for the main concerts of classical, pop, and jazz music in the city.
Palazzo Bianchi is located in the historic center of Perugia, in Piazza Morlacchi, opposite the Morlacchi Theater. It was built between 1873 and 1876 by the lawyer Alessandro Bianchi. The design of the building was entrusted to the renowned architect Guglielmo Calderini. The restoration of the building includes modern design and construction criteria and prestigious apartments equipped with high quality finishing systems and materials.
Palazzo Manzoni, formerly known as Palazzo Alfani-Ansidei, is located in Piazza Morlacchi, in the center of Perugia. It is considered one of the most significant examples of 18th-century urban construction in the city. The building takes its name from its last owners, the Manzoni family. Currently, the building houses the Departments of Letters, Languages, Literature and Ancient and Modern Civilizations of the University of Perugia. Its historical and architectural importance make it a prestigious location for an academic department.